Thursday, March 24, 2011

The End

I'm deep into the electric blue highways of data, carrying integers and characters from one system to another. Then beating and molding the data so that it can tell a story. Inside me there's another story I want to tell. With every field I carry to match it with the appropriate field, a new stream of ideas come to mind. Stephen King, the royal monster of writing, says there's always a fossil out there. All you have to do is find the fossil, and dig around it, slowly unveiling a story. He never really knows how it's going to end. I have discovered a fossil. It's my cubicle. Sitting in a cubicle is like the sound of tik-tok by the old clock on the wall at 3am with wind and cars blowing past your window. You don't like the tic-toc sound and the same applies to the cubicle. The worst thing is walking into work conscious of the cubicle. Then time goes by slowly. Really slowly. It gets aggravating too. Because it ruins you flow of streaming data from one server to the other. Now, that my fossil is the cubicle, I need to extract it. My style is through questioning. I'm at a state right now that I'll have to do is ask a couple of questions about before I can transition into another state. I'm good as asking questions.

Biology is life. Yesterday, I was studying the difference between parasites and predators. Predators feed on you after they kill you. Parasite, on the other hand weaken you only to feed on you until they commit suicide by killing you. I feel like disgusting saying this but sometimes there's a parasitic phenomena going on in the corporate world.  We email people work, and they respond by nit-picking the worst sentence out of a whitepaper or technical document. It does unveil some nasty intentions with so much clarity it reminds of kindergarten when kids played skip the box on a chalked floor. Sister, I never played skip the box and never found tic tac toe too interesting. Let's not play this game. I know you own a blackberry and got your Starbucks fix, but I've seen your work. I've read your documents. I've got lost trying to follow your analysis and logic. People want to feel and think in a certain way. They want a sense of importance, and they really want to feel like there's also a sense of authority. The stronger the presence of authority, the more serious the job, the more important one's work. It is branding. People want to hear and think in a certain way, and you really have to feed it to them. What do people want to hear one asks?

I'm a data analyst in 21st century because it's hot.  Everyone around me wants to build applications because it's hot. I'm not sure if people do want to hear the tick-tock of reality because "criticism is something people are good at giving themselves". Maybe I'll help you ask some yourself some self-branding questions. If you were the last man to the moon, would you drive a ferrari? Would it make a difference to you whether you used a 2001 Nokia or 2011 iPhone to make the call? Maybe it's unrealistic to think about being the last man to the moon. However, I've seen many do imaginary jail time. You know that phase very well. When you're studying for finals, it's jail time. When work season kicks in, it's jail time. Other can elaborate more on Jail time. I recently read a book by a King who considered his training in the desert Jail time. This is still not relevant. How do we corporate citizens or Chinese on a random high rise spend our Jail time?

I like to think about it in terms of Job Streams. Job streams are things I do with programs to automatically run in the morning to update data. Some of my personal job streams include working out, filling my car with gas, outsourcing my laundry, feeding myself, reading 1000 pages a week, studying new stocks everyday, writing 500 words a day. Job Streams. They are the kind of Rules for what I want to do. But I've started to realize that I was more on the exception side of rules. As if I truly write rules just to break them. Where else can I break the law? I hope by writing fictional stories that I don't. Because my cubicle is my fossil, and I'm finding some really cool shit to write about every day. It's really like a horror, scientific, modern and militaristic novel. I swear every time I send an email, I'm curious whether someone will send back a grenade for some ridiculous sentence. Seriously woman. I like my grammar mistakes. They make people pay attention and think twice. Did he mean this or that? I even ask myself what I meant!

No comments:

Post a Comment